There's an excellent guide written by Mike Perry at the Tor project blog titled Mission Impossible: Hardening Android for Security and Privacy. My article will be a summary of my experience following the guide, departures I made from his instructions, and hurdles I encountered with my devices. My main departure from the guide is that I don't push all my traffic through Tor. However, the guide's recommendations to use Cyanogenmod, Privacy Guard, an application firewall, and filesystem encryption go a long way toward taking control of information coming from your Android device.
I have an Asus Transformer (TF101) tablet and HTC One Mini (M4) cell phone that I may provide specific details for, though my notes should mostly be generic.
I was given a Compaq CQ50 laptop which was overheating over the course of 30-60 minutes and reaching a temperature where overheating protection kicked in and the laptop abruptly shut down.
A quick search for a solution turned up many results. Many revolve around the GPU overheating specifically. I combined a few approaches. I could not find a technical manual for the internals of the CQ50 but there are a few disassembly videos on YouTube. I liked a video posted by ThibaultServices best. Disassembly to get at the relevant parts was more involved than I anticipated: CPU heatsink/fan, GPU heatsink, and rear case plastic. Here is a picture of everything once it has been disassembled.
Until recently my experience with large matrices of data within MATLAB had been limited to data that I preprocessed into CSV files via other programming languages and imported into MATLAB. I've been working on an application for one of my graduate courses that clusters ~30000 individuals based on ~60480000 timeseries measurements stored in a MySQL database. It seemed best to use the Database Toolbox to query the database directly.
Several years ago I promised myself that I'd be content with Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) releases. Fussing with bi-annual standard releases was OK during university, but now my sensibilities have changed. I don't need bleeding edge. I only need reliability and productivity.
Recently, other technical volunteers were pushing for Wordpress at an organization I do volunteer work for. This article is not Drupal vs. Wordpress. I found an enlightening Smashing Magazine article during our discussions which addresses that topic. At the end of the day, the simple fact that a vast majority of the volunteers were pushing for Wordpress was enough to justify the switch. It allowed others to take on more responsibilies. Ask any strapped volunteer, more help is worth it.
However, I was tasked with a lot of the finer points of migrating article content smoothly and switching our CiviCRM database over. I'll catalog my process in the hopes that it may help others in a similar situation.
Moving in the “slowly but surely” spirit of my Exchange Web Services article series, my fourth article will address the most common task in messaging: creating an email message. My example below is mostly a translation of the C# example in an MSDN article titled Creating an Exchange Web Services Client Application.
However, due to the xsi:nil error mentioned last article, we will be overloading each method of the ExchangeServicePortType. There may be other techniques out there, please comment and share them with me. This is the most straightforward way I've found to do it though.
At the end of this article we will create a data access object which returns a List of ItemType objects representing the items in your Inbox.
Recently I was given the opportunity to write an online email client at my job. Throughout the application, at key points of contact, we will integrate message creation for students to seamlessly contact instructors, advisors, classmates, fellow club members, etc. Also, we wanted a full email client worked into the application. My point is, there are good reasons for writing the email client. This is not just some pipe dream.
Here's the technology background for this work:
Exchange 2007 SP1 (with Exchange Web Services enabled)
Java 1.5 or later
Oracle Application Server 10g (production)
Glassfish v2 (local development)
Web Service Stack:
Glassfish Metro (guide for deployment on OC4J later)
I upgraded the site to Drupal 6.3 today. I lagged a little behind but I was waiting for all my modules to be at least development releases and preferred that a majority be stable releases. So far the only one I've had trouble with is my Flickr module which was at alpha1 when I installed it. Hopefully I can get it back up and running soon. I rather enjoyed it.
I graduate on Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 2:00pm from the University of St. Thomas with a degree in Quantitative Methods and Computer Science, and a minor in Journalism and Mass Communication. Each day I remind my co-workers of the number of days till my graduation. They joked that I should have a millisecond countdown. So running through May 17, I will have a graduation countdown in the right hand column of my blog.
I am a big Ubuntu fanboy. The Ubuntu (and other *buntu flavors) developers really got the distribution right. I have 3-4 different Ubuntu-related RSS feeds in my reader. One of them told me about Issue 8 of Full Circle Magazine, a free Ubuntu magazine. Inside there was an article on an interesting new project, Wubi, an Ubuntu installer for Windows.
Before you go and try and use Connection Pooling without reading anything on it... like the idiot I was... check out this article from Java World. It's a nice write up on the principles behind connection pools and how to properly write a connection using them.